Week 1 is officially in the books and Jays fans have already experienced many highs and lows. So let's take a much too early look at the numbers to see if there are any conclusions we can jump to. Starting with the hitters:
|J. P. Arencibia||19||3||7||2||2||2||5||2||2||0||0||.368||.429||1.000||1.429|
|Batting Stats Totals||315||44||80||12||4||10||42||32||62||8||2||.254||.320||.413||.733|
1. J. P. Arencibia - As I predicted here, Arencibia is a stud! It's almost a certainty that he will eventually be elected into the hall of fame. All kidding aside his start couldn't have gone much better. However, try to be patient as he won't be in the line-up everyday, and I'm not convinced yet that this is a bad thing. His time will come.
2. Aaron Hill - At what point should we be concerned that last years version of Hill is what we should expect from now on?
3. Rajai Davis - No need to press the panic button yet, he's been playing hurt.
4. John McDonald, Mike McCoy and Jayson Nix - They are all off to a nice start, but at no point this season should they be confused with every day players.
5. Travis Snider - I've been so convinced since Sniders first at bat in the major leagues that he would eventually become a core player, someone to build a team around. One week should not change this belief.
6. Jose Bautista - I love this guy!
7. Juan Rivera - This guy looks awful, hopefully he's one of those guys that gets his production in bunches, kind of like the guy he was traded for.
8. Edwin Encarnacion - Speaking of getting production in bunches, please be patient.
9. Yunel Escobar - An Atlanta Braves fan commented recently that in 2009 it seemed as if Yunel Escobar was involved in everything good that happened to the Braves that year. It's kind of feeling that way for Escobar with the Blue Jays this year.
And now the Pitchers:
1. The bullpen - And I was worried when Francisco went on the DL. It's a shame that Casey Janssen had to be sent to the minors solely because he had options remaining, however, that's the kind of problem I don't mind this team having. So now the question is, who's out when Francisco returns?
2. Kyle Drabek - Roy who?
3. Jesse Litsch - I really hope this guy continues to make me look stupid for suggesting he was a waste of a roster spot. He really impressed me in his first start this season.
4. Ricky Romero - It really appears that he's developing into a true team ace. Well done!
5. Jo-Jo Reyes - I don't care what kind of man crush the Tao of Stieb has on this guy, I'm not buying it.
6. Brett Cecil - Again, please be patient, Cecil will turn it around. Unfortunately for him, it may happen in Las Vegas in order for the Jays to make room for Brandon Morrow. The correct move would be to wave bye-bye to Jo-Jo.