Tuesday, January 4, 2011
1. Fan Favourite and author Dirk Hayhurst will not be back with the Blue Jays next year as he has announced on his blog.
2. Jays made a low risk high reward signing, inking Chad Cordero to a minor league deal. I like these types of deals, but don't get your hopes up.
3. Octavio Dotel will make $3 million in 2011 not $3.5 million according to BlueJays.com.
4. Making the Dotel signing look genuis, the Orioles locked up Kevin Gregg to a 2 year $10 million contract. So much for the belief that you shouldn't overpay for mediocre players.
5. Is it really worth the risk to sign a player who you already have under control for the next five years to such a big contract? I guess the Rockies aren't too concerned about that high BABIP for Carlos Gonzalez last year. Extending someone after a season like he had is rarely a good idea.
6. The Nationals just got Edwin Encarnacion type production for the low low price of $16 million. On an unrelated note the entire Baltimore Washington region's water supply has been effected by a toxin that results in people making bad decisions.
7. Rangers designate one time top prospect catcher Max Ramirez for assignment. Could this be another low risk high reward opportunity for the Jays?